Definition of quadrate in English:
Pronunciation: /ˈkwädrāt/ /ˈkwädrət/
1 (also quadrate bone) Zoology (In the skull of a bird or reptile) a squarish bone with which the jaw articulates, thought to be homologous with the incus of the middle ear in mammals.
- Most significantly, however, the prootic articulates with the quadrate.
- Both the quadrate and the symplectic articulate with the articular of the lower jaw.
- Both quadrates are preserved in articulation with the respective mandibles.
Pronunciation: /ˈkwädrət/Back to top
Roughly square or rectangular.
- The last preserved volution has a quadrate outline.
- Among the common shapes are triangular, circular, rhomboidal, quadrate, trapezoidal, and elliptical.
- It was a typically quadrate teapot with a square spout and square handle, made during the Qing Dynasty.
Pronunciation: /ˈkwädrāt/archaic Back to top
Late Middle English (as an adjective): from Latin quadrat- 'made square', from the verb quadrare, from quattuor 'four'.
Words that rhyme with quadrateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight • nitrate • prostrate
Definition of quadrate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.