Definition of quadratic in English:
Involving the second and no higher power of an unknown quantity or variable: a quadratic equation
More example sentences
- In 1826 Cauchy, in the context of quadratic forms in n variables, used the term ‘tableau’ for the matrix of coefficients.
- If f = 0, then the quartic in y is actually a quadratic equation in the variable y 2.
- Smith also extended Gauss's theorem on real quadratic forms to complex quadratic forms.
nounBack to top
A quadratic equation.
- Historically, imaginary numbers first came to light when trying to solve cubic equations, rather than quadratics.
- The sparseness of the quadratics is what is important here.
- This is certainly possible and the Babylonians' understanding of quadratics adds some weight to the claim.
Definition of quadratic in:
- British & World English dictionary