Definition of quadratic in English:
Involving the second and no higher power of an unknown quantity or variable: a quadratic equation
More example sentences
- In 1826 Cauchy, in the context of quadratic forms in n variables, used the term ‘tableau’ for the matrix of coefficients.
- If f = 0, then the quartic in y is actually a quadratic equation in the variable y 2.
- Smith also extended Gauss's theorem on real quadratic forms to complex quadratic forms.
nounBack to top
A quadratic equation.
- Historically, imaginary numbers first came to light when trying to solve cubic equations, rather than quadratics.
- The sparseness of the quadratics is what is important here.
- This is certainly possible and the Babylonians' understanding of quadratics adds some weight to the claim.
Words that rhyme with quadraticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monochromatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
Definition of quadratic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.