Definition of quadruped in English:
An animal that has four feet, especially an ungulate mammal.
- During terrestrial locomotion in a quadruped, the manus pushes against the substrate to decelerate, support, and reaccelerate the body.
- Horses, and other quadrupeds, also have scope for functional specialisation between limbs.
- A quadruped can be stable with only three feet on the ground.
- Example sentences
- The front legs of quadrupedal mammals typically support about 60% of body weight.
- However, except for Urban, few data are available to test if the kinematics of bipedal and quadrupedal running differ.
- Undistorted, he writes, the evidence left by the neck muscles ‘is within the range of fossil hominids’ and is ‘nothing like that of any quadrupedal ape.’
Pronunciation: /ˌkwädrəˈpedl/ /kwäˈdro͞opədl/adjective
Words that rhyme with quadrupedmoped
Definition of quadruped in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan