- An animal that has four feet, especially an ungulate mammal.More example sentences
- During terrestrial locomotion in a quadruped, the manus pushes against the substrate to decelerate, support, and reaccelerate the body.
- Horses, and other quadrupeds, also have scope for functional specialisation between limbs.
- A quadruped can be stable with only three feet on the ground.
- More example sentences
- The front legs of quadrupedal mammals typically support about 60% of body weight.
- However, except for Urban, few data are available to test if the kinematics of bipedal and quadrupedal running differ.
- Undistorted, he writes, the evidence left by the neck muscles ‘is within the range of fossil hominids’ and is ‘nothing like that of any quadrupedal ape.’
Pronunciation: /ˌkwädrəˈpedl, kwäˈdro͞opədl/adjective
mid 17th century: from French quadrupède or Latin quadrupes, quadruped-, from quadru- 'four' + pes, ped- 'foot'.
More definitions of quadrupedDefinition of quadruped in:
- The British & World English dictionary