Definition of quahog in English:
A large, rounded edible clam of the Atlantic coast of North America. Also called hard clam, hard-shell clam.
- Venus mercenaria, family Veneridae
- Littleneck clams from the East Coast are the smallest quahogs sold and get their name from Little Neck Bay on Long Island, which was once the most popular source for the half-shell trade.
- Among animals, a type of clam called a quahog can live for more than 200 years, and lobsters can live for 100 years or more, as can sturgeon and turtles.
- Researchers hope to develop a new method to reconstruct southwest Florida's past climates using shells of the native Florida clam, the southern quahog.
mid 18th century: from Narragansett poquaûhock.
Definition of quahog in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan