- A large, rounded edible clam of the Atlantic coast of North America. Also called hard clam, hard-shell clam.
More example sentences
- Venus mercenaria, family Veneridae
- Littleneck clams from the East Coast are the smallest quahogs sold and get their name from Little Neck Bay on Long Island, which was once the most popular source for the half-shell trade.
- Among animals, a type of clam called a quahog can live for more than 200 years, and lobsters can live for 100 years or more, as can sturgeon and turtles.
- Researchers hope to develop a new method to reconstruct southwest Florida's past climates using shells of the native Florida clam, the southern quahog.
mid 18th century: from Narragansett poquaûhock.
More definitions of quahogDefinition of quahog in:
- The British & World English dictionary