Definition of quantum mechanics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular] Physics
The branch of mechanics that deals with the mathematical description of the motion and interaction of subatomic particles, incorporating the concepts of quantization of energy, wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, and the correspondence principle.
- According to the laws of quantum mechanics, these electrons may exist only in certain states.
- In fact, it is arguably the most important fundamental concept behind all of quantum mechanics.
- On the other hand, in quantum mechanics you will deal more with algebraic techniques.
- Example sentences
- However, as a subatomic particle the electron is also a quantum-mechanical object.
- Furthermore, experiments are insensitive to the overall phase of quantum-mechanical wavefunctions - a property known as gauge invariance - which leads to the conservation of electric charge.
- Being quantum-mechanical, the electron can also be in a ‘superposition’ of these states, pointing both up and down at the same time.
Definition of quantum mechanics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan