noun[usually as modifier] Law
- A reasonable sum of money to be paid for services rendered or work done when the amount due is not stipulated in a legally enforceable contract.More example sentences
- At the same time, the trial court held that the firm could recover in quantum meruit the reasonable value of the legal services it had provided, calculated on an hourly basis
- COA affirmed the summary judgment but held that the trial court erroneously denied Cattlemen's motion for directed verdict on the quantum meruit claim.
- Although the trial court had rejected Pacific Coast's contract claim, it agreed with Pacific Coast that Pacific Coast was entitled, under a quantum meruit theory, to the same damages that it had asserted were recoverable under the contract.
Latin, literally 'as much as he has deserved'.
More definitions of quantum meruitDefinition of quantum meruit in:
- The British & World English dictionary