(also quarter of an hour)
Definition of quarter-hour in English:
1A period of 15 minutes.
- I used to put minutes, quarter-hours, half-hours into this game, like ever larger sums into a slot machine.
- Workers also won a ‘service day’ for every three years and a quarter of an hour off some shifts.
- The veteran striker powered home two trademark headers within two minutes in the final quarter of an hour to spare his side's blushes.
1.1A point of time 15 minutes before or after any hour.
- The tips on rounding hours to the next quarter-hour or tenth-hour and dropping your own VBA procedure into a formula were most ingenious.
- Mark Wood opened the scoring on the quarter-hour and Mark Swales completed the victory just after the hour mark as the Pikes bounced back superbly from Saturday's disappointing home defeat to title rivals Eastwood Town.
Definition of quarter-hour in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia