Definition of quartet in English:
1A group of four people playing music or singing together.
- He believes that you increase your understanding by playing in small ensembles - three, four or five people in trios, quartets and quintets.
- Each of the cafes along the edges of the square had a band, mostly quartets playing classical music or jazz or some show tunes.
- A chamber music quartet was rehearsing for a Vivaldi recital, and it was gorgeous.
1.1A composition for a quartet.
- This quartet is musically closer to the quartets of fellow Theresienstadt composers Ullmann and Schulhoff.
- His earliest extant chamber music for strings comprises the two sextets: in these the additional instruments give a full sound, which he achieved eventually in the quartets composed in middle life.
- The sound of the Zehetmair Quartet - refined, lean and coolly transparent - isn't obviously suited to full-blooded romantic works like the quartets Schumann composed in 1840.
1.2A set of four people or things.
- The plate is composed of a quartet of salads around a small mound of baby greens.
- It's a good bet that at least 11 of the 12 drivers who will make NASCAR's version of the playoffs will come from this quartet of teams.
- Astronomers using telescopes on Mauna Kea have found an extremely rare quartet of stars that orbit each other within a region smaller than Jupiter's orbit round the Sun.
Early 17th century (in the general sense 'set of four'): from French quartette, from Italian quartetto, from quarto 'fourth', from Latin quartus.
Words that rhyme with quartetabet, aiguillette, anisette, Annette, Antoinette, arête, Arlette, ate, baguette, banquette, barbette, barrette, basinet, bassinet, beget, Bernadette, beset, bet, Bette, blanquette, Brett, briquette, brochette, brunette (US brunet), Burnett, cadet, caravanette, cassette, castanet, charette, cigarette (US cigaret), clarinet, Claudette, Colette, coquette, corvette, couchette, courgette, croquette, curette, curvet, Debrett, debt, dinette, diskette, duet, epaulette (US epaulet), flageolet, flannelette, forget, fret, galette, gazette, Georgette, get, godet, grisette, heavyset, Jeanette, jet, kitchenette, La Fayette, landaulet, launderette, layette, lazaret, leatherette, let, Lett, lorgnette, luncheonette, lunette, Lynette, maisonette, majorette, maquette, Marie-Antoinette, marionette, Marquette, marquisette, martinet, met, minaret, minuet, moquette, motet, musette, Nanette, net, noisette, nonet, novelette, nymphet, octet, Odette, on-set, oubliette, Paulette, pet, Phuket, picquet, pillaret, pincette, pipette, piquet, pirouette, planchette, pochette, quickset, quintet, regret, ret, Rhett, roomette, rosette, roulette, satinette, septet, serviette, sestet, set, sett, sextet, silhouette, soubrette, spinet, spinneret, statuette, stet, stockinet, sublet, suffragette, Suzette, sweat, thickset, threat, Tibet, toilette, tret, underlet, upset, usherette, vedette, vet, vignette, vinaigrette, wagonette, wet, whet, winceyette, yet, Yvette
Definition of quartet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.