- The 15th century as a period of Italian art or architecture.More example sentences
- In the second half of the 19th century some quattrocento paintings were acquired, reflecting the contemporary taste for ‘primitives’.
- The very periodization structure on which our histories are based depends on his heroic presence as a bulwark between trecento and quattrocento, as a signpost stating ‘the Renaissance starts here.’
- During the trecento and quattrocento, the spirit of competition between S. Maria del Fiore and S. Giovanni guided their respective acquisitions of relics and commissions for reliquaries in which to house them.
Italian, literally '400' (shortened from milquattrocento '1400'), used with reference to the years 1400–99.
More definitions of quattrocentoDefinition of quattrocento in:
- The British & World English dictionary