Definition of quelea in English:
A brownish weaverbird found in Africa, the male of which has either a black face or a red head.
- Genus Quelea, family Ploceidae: three species, in particular the red-billed quelea (Q. quelea), which occurs in huge numbers and is an important pest of crops
- The ngosha (Quelea quelea) is a small but very numerous granivorous bird that sweeps over the sky in flocks like small clouds and descends on grain fields to feast.
- The regular loss of rice and other grain crops to large flocks of quelea led Nigeria's government to begin spraying the area with chemical control agents whose long-term effects on other life forms have not been determined.
- However queleas are different because plumage does not signal quality in this species.
Definition of quelea in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan