A brownish weaverbird found in Africa, the male of which has either a black face or a red head.
- Genus Quelea, family Ploceidae: three species, in particular the red-billed quelea (Q. quelea), which occurs in huge numbers and is an important pest of crops
More example sentences
- The ngosha (Quelea quelea) is a small but very numerous granivorous bird that sweeps over the sky in flocks like small clouds and descends on grain fields to feast.
- The regular loss of rice and other grain crops to large flocks of quelea led Nigeria's government to begin spraying the area with chemical control agents whose long-term effects on other life forms have not been determined.
- However queleas are different because plumage does not signal quality in this species.
modern Latin, perhaps from medieval Latin qualea 'quail'.
Definition of quelea in:
- The British & World English dictionary