Definition of question mark in English:
1A punctuation mark (?) indicating a question.
- Who made the error in punctuation of putting a question mark after the sample questions, the SQA or the Scotsman?
- Every sentence ended with a question mark, and was punctuated by a popping bubble or annoying giggle.
- In both cases, the question mark comes after the marks that relate to the quoted names, and before the mark or marks that close the sentence of speech.
1.1Used to express doubt or uncertainty about something: there’s a question mark over his future
More example sentences
- Bury's uncertain future means there's a question mark over the club's youth and reserve teams next season.
- He said a strike could put a question mark over fare levels and peripheral services, and that the pension fund situation made matters worse.
- There was a big question mark over the Selby factory's future.
Definition of question mark in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan