Definition of quickie in English:
1A thing done or made quickly or hastily, in particular.
- As further evidence that Slate has cornered the popular market on interesting Supreme Court writing, go read Dahlia Lithwick's quickie on the Supreme Court's federal marshals.
- Haunted may eschew flashy camera panache, but it has a stately, timeless craftsmanship to it that shows this is not merely some hack quickie, direct-to-video production.
- The Blair Witch Project - Halfway between a home video and a minimalist exercise, this little quickie managed to turn a whole industry on its head.
1.1A rapidly consumed alcoholic drink.
- Let the last word rest with the Italian ambassador, Luigi Amaduzzi: ‘I asked the barmaid for a quickie.’
- However during the first half I had to nip to the loo twice and on each journey I slugged another quickie of Rioja down.
- Just a quickie tonight - I think it's only right and respectful on Australia Day to crack open a can of Fosters and celebrate with our friends on the other side of the world!
1.2A brief act of sexual intercourse.
- Taking time means that while quickies are fun, really satisfying sex lasts a lot longer than 15 minutes.
- Mary is undeterred; if she can't have sex with him, then she'll just have a quickie, damn it: she goes for his pants and he squeals like a girl - or like I do when Anne asks me if I know how horses eat grass.
- Another magazine article revealed that when women want to have a fling they will pick a tall, dark and handsome type, thinking that guy doesn't want commitment because of this apparent statistic and therefore worth a quickie.
adjectiveBack to top
Done or made quickly: his wife cooperated with a quickie divorce
More example sentences
- For a while, the couple appeared to have patched up their marriage, but in September 2001, after 20 years together, a quickie divorce went ahead on the grounds that the marriage had broken down irretrievably.
- The couple finally split in 2003 after being granted a quickie divorce in October on the grounds of the movie star's ‘unreasonable behaviour’ after six years of marriage.
- Are you saying that you're flying to the Dominican Republic for a quickie divorce?
Definition of quickie in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia