Definition of quintet in English:
1A group of five people playing music or singing together.
- He believes that you increase your understanding by playing in small ensembles - three, four or five people in trios, quartets and quintets.
- Incorporating various styles of rock, jazz, blues and folk music, the quintet is lead by Matthews on guitar and vocals.
- Then as well we were treated to beautiful Mozart and Strauss music by a delightful quintet in traditional costume.
1.1A musical composition for a quintet.
- We also learn that the quintets were composed for the Spanish Royal Family to be played in the splendid retreat of El Escorial which was apparently quite a musical haven in the 18th century.
- These two quintets contain music that is extremely pleasant and also very relaxing without being too troublesome on the intellectual side.
- There is a great deal of Dvorak chamber music - 14 string quartets and three quintets, as well as 10 trios, quartets and quintets with piano - and only a fraction of it is heard regularly in recitals.
Late 18th century: from French quintette or Italian quintetto, from quinto 'fifth', from Latin quintus.
Words that rhyme with quintetabet, aiguillette, anisette, Annette, Antoinette, arête, Arlette, ate, baguette, banquette, barbette, barrette, basinet, bassinet, beget, Bernadette, beset, bet, Bette, blanquette, Brett, briquette, brochette, brunette (US brunet), Burnett, cadet, caravanette, cassette, castanet, charette, cigarette (US cigaret), clarinet, Claudette, Colette, coquette, corvette, couchette, courgette, croquette, curette, curvet, Debrett, debt, dinette, diskette, duet, epaulette (US epaulet), flageolet, flannelette, forget, fret, galette, gazette, Georgette, get, godet, grisette, heavyset, Jeanette, jet, kitchenette, La Fayette, landaulet, launderette, layette, lazaret, leatherette, let, Lett, lorgnette, luncheonette, lunette, Lynette, maisonette, majorette, maquette, Marie-Antoinette, marionette, Marquette, marquisette, martinet, met, minaret, minuet, moquette, motet, musette, Nanette, net, noisette, nonet, novelette, nymphet, octet, Odette, on-set, oubliette, Paulette, pet, Phuket, picquet, pillaret, pincette, pipette, piquet, pirouette, planchette, pochette, quartet, quickset, regret, ret, Rhett, roomette, rosette, roulette, satinette, septet, serviette, sestet, set, sett, sextet, silhouette, soubrette, spinet, spinneret, statuette, stet, stockinet, sublet, suffragette, Suzette, sweat, thickset, threat, Tibet, toilette, tret, underlet, upset, usherette, vedette, vet, vignette, vinaigrette, wagonette, wet, whet, winceyette, yet, Yvette
Definition of quintet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.