Definition of quintuple in English:
1Consisting of five parts or things.
- Ministers, who will formally announce the plan tomorrow, insist the quintuple jab is safe, and a positive development for parents because it replaces the whooping cough vaccine, which contained mercury.
- Some doctors feared the confusion could lead to concern that the public might turn against the quintuple jab, despite universal agreement that it is an improvement on earlier vaccines.
- To add to the usual litany of woes that go with ageing, he's had a quintuple heart bypass.
1.1Five times as much or as many.
- The thing about being independent is that all the profits are quadruple, quintuple what someone on a major label would make.
1.2(Of time in music) having five beats in a bar.
- His Arraché is a technically challenging piece that ends in a quintuple fugue, demanding the sort of concentration that had wavered during rehearsal the day before.
verbBack to top
Increase or cause to increase fivefold.
- Between 1859 and 1876, the number of pickpockets brought to trial by the district attorney nearly quintupled, increasing from 52 to 242.
- Revenues nearly tripled over that period, and profits quintupled.
- For example, from 1933 to 1945 the number of union members quintupled, from under 3 million to 15 million.
nounBack to top
Words that rhyme with quintupleoctuple
Definition of quintuple in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.