Definition of quintuple in English:
1Consisting of five parts or things.
- Ministers, who will formally announce the plan tomorrow, insist the quintuple jab is safe, and a positive development for parents because it replaces the whooping cough vaccine, which contained mercury.
- Some doctors feared the confusion could lead to concern that the public might turn against the quintuple jab, despite universal agreement that it is an improvement on earlier vaccines.
- To add to the usual litany of woes that go with ageing, he's had a quintuple heart bypass.
1.1Five times as much or as many.
- The thing about being independent is that all the profits are quadruple, quintuple what someone on a major label would make.
1.2(Of time in music) having five beats in a bar.
- His Arraché is a technically challenging piece that ends in a quintuple fugue, demanding the sort of concentration that had wavered during rehearsal the day before.
verbBack to top
Increase or cause to increase fivefold.
- Between 1859 and 1876, the number of pickpockets brought to trial by the district attorney nearly quintupled, increasing from 52 to 242.
- Revenues nearly tripled over that period, and profits quintupled.
- For example, from 1933 to 1945 the number of union members quintupled, from under 3 million to 15 million.
nounBack to top
Words that rhyme with quintupleoctuple
Definition of quintuple in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan