A small, short-tailed wallaby with a short face, round ears on top of the head, and some tree-climbing ability, native to Western Australia.
- Setonix brachyurus, family Macropodidae
More example sentences
- These forms include the tree-kangaroos (genus Dendrolagus), which are excellent climbers; pademelons (genus Thylogale), which often walk with a quadrupedal gait; and the relatively short-tailed quokkas (genus Setonix).
- En route, watch out for the island's sweet but vaguely scary quokkas: half kangaroo, half rat, they're endemic here.
- Its Dutch discoverer in the 17th century wrongly named it after finding it was infested with what he took for rats, but were actually quokkas, marsupials with a vague resemblance to beavers.
mid 19th century: from Nyungar kwaka.
Definition of quokka in:
- The British & World English dictionary