Definition of racism in English:
1The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
- The most inflexible form of racism holds that race is determined biologically.
- Secondly, as has been stressed before, it is legally and morally wrong to promote racism.
- It is clear that people have a variety of perspectives on issues of race and racism.
1.1Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior: a program to combat racism
More example sentences
- Nobody could ever accuse Glastonbury of being a hotbed of racism and prejudice.
- Positive discrimination can increase racism rather than working to decrease it.
- Inmates at Buckley Hall Prison have to run a gauntlet of insults and racism from some members of staff.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan