- 1A system for detecting the presence, direction, distance, and speed of aircraft, ships, and other objects, by sending out pulses of high-frequency electromagnetic waves that are reflected off the object back to the source.More example sentences
- Chavez reported that Venezuelan radar detected the presence of the ships and planes during the coup attempt.
- That expelling of exhaust is vital in detecting their presence on radar.
- Digital cellphones are similar to radar, using pulses carried by microwaves.
- 1.1An apparatus used for radar.More example sentences
- Invading foreign computer networks could shut down radars and electrical plants and disrupt telephone lines without firing a shot.
- Cyclone detection doppler radars are replacing the conventional analogue radars in important locations along the east coast.
- Park Air is a world leader in the field of integration, processing and display of data from radars, sensors and databases.
1940s: from ra(dio) d(etection) a(nd) r(anging).
More definitions of radarDefinition of radar in:
- The British & World English dictionary