Definition of radiance in English:
1Light or heat as emitted or reflected by something: the radiance of the sunset dwindled and died
More example sentences
- As the light shone, its radiance blazed from one end of the universe to the other.
- The emphasis shifts from bright surfaces and brilliant sparkle to the soft radiance of inner light, exploring the complexities, activities and possibilities of a thousand points of light.
- Mother-of-pearl glows and its radiance diffuses a luminous light.
1.1Great happiness, apparent in someone’s expression or bearing: the radiance of the bride’s smile
More example sentences
- I fell in love with his radiance, his charm, his personality but most of all the way he was one of the only guys I had ever met who cared about others as much as he cared about himself.
- They held so much emotion in them that Darren sometimes wanted to take a picture of his lovely friend, as if to somehow capture the radiance of her expression.
- Even Mike's eyes were jubilant; his newfound radiance made me think of the fear that I had just previously seen in him.
1.2A glowing quality of the skin, especially as indicative of good health or youth.
- She had gained weight and though her skin lost its glowing radiance, it wasn't ghastly pale anymore.
- After a little while, I realized my face was looking a little dull, so I used some more product on my face to bring out the natural bold radiance of my ebony skin.
- That means a bumper package of proteins, minerals and essential oils to revitalise the skin, promoting natural radiance.
2 Physics The flux of radiation emitted per unit solid angle in a given direction by a unit area of a source.
- The downward radiance measured by the infrared interferometer is a combination of thermal emission by atmospheric water vapor and by the cloud ice mass.
- This irradiance and the radiance in the opposite direction were then inserted into equation to calculate the ideal reflectance.
- The effect is most prominent at shallow depths, where the light field is usually asymmetric, due to highly directional and intense solar radiance.
Words that rhyme with radianceirradiance
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.