Definition of radiation in English:
1 Physics The emission of energy as electromagnetic waves or as moving subatomic particles, especially high-energy particles that cause ionization.
- Because it uses sound waves instead of radiation, ultrasound is safer than X-rays.
- When taken up by obstacles, beta particles produce a more penetrative secondary radiation known as bremsstrahlung.
- We now know that invisible forces do control some things: gravity, radiation, electricity.
1.1The energy transmitted by radiation, as heat, light, electricity, etc.
- The total spectrum of solar radiation comprises ultraviolet radiations, visible light, and infra-red radiations, in order of increasing electromagnetic wavelengths.
- A radioactive source will emit these radiations at various frequencies, depending on its activity and its decay mode.
- This foil doesn't do very well in the air, but it protected it from meteorites and from the ultraviolet radiations from the sun.
2chiefly Biology Divergence out from a central point, in particular evolution from an ancestral animal or plant group into a variety of new forms.
- Each of these pulses is a major evolutionary radiation of the Theropsid lineage.
- This famous site in British Columbia has yielded much fundamental information on the early radiation of the major animal groups.
- During the Oligocene, the South American rodents began their great evolutionary radiation.
- Example sentences
- On level sites, radiational cooling rather than cold air drainage is most significant in generating the ‘frost pocket’ phenomenon.
- As it stagnates, with the days as long as they are, and the short nights, we don't have the radiational cooling and it just goes on and on.
- When this cloud is present, night-time radiational cooling is much reduced and widespread fog is consequently not usually a problem.
Definition of radiation in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan