Definition of radioactivity in English:
1The emission of ionizing radiation or particles caused by the spontaneous disintegration of atomic nuclei.
- Early studies of radioactivity revealed that certain atomic nuclei were naturally radioactive.
- They may also interact with nonmedical regulations, such as limits on electromagnetic emissions or radioactivity.
- What makes dirty bombs particularly troublesome is that radioactivity, like fire, is something we deal with on a daily basis.
1.1Radioactive substances, or the radiation emitted by these.
- Small amounts of radioactivity escaped into the atmosphere.
- The lack of safeguards is leaving thousands of children across central Scotland at risk of thyroid cancer following an escape of radioactivity.
- They are comparing sediment taken from the Humber estuary - unpolluted by radioactivity - with other samples which contain the substance.
Definition of radioactivity in:
- British & World English dictionary