Definition of radiolarian in English:
A single-celled aquatic animal that has a spherical, amoebalike body with a spiny skeleton of silica. Their skeletons can accumulate as a slimy deposit on the seabed.
- Like other radiolarians, Acantharea have an elaborate mineralized skeleton.
- Won regarded the hollow canal structure as one of the indicators of the close relationship of radiolarians and the Porifera.
- Therefore, in terms of geological age determined by radiolarians and the ammonoid, this brachiopod fauna should be assigned to the latest Changhsingian.
adjectiveBack to top
Of, relating to, or formed from radiolarians.
- Calcareous oozes are common in the low and mid-latitudes while in other places, particularly the high latitudes, radiolarian oozes tend to dominate.
- Twenty-two samples for radiolarian research were collected from the grayish black, thin-bedded limestone and siliceous limestone of the Baoqing Member and the Mcishan Member.
- Well-preserved Late Cambrian radiolarian faunas were recovered from carbonate rocks of the Cow Head Group of the Great Northern Peninsula of the island of Newfoundland, Canada.
Definition of radiolarian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India