Definition of radius vector in English:
1A line of variable length drawn from a fixed origin to a curve.
- When Archimedes defines a spiral, he gives fundamental properties connecting the length of the radius vector with the angles through which it has revolved.
- In fact, from the point P which is at distance d from the origin measured along a radius vector, the distance from P to the pole is d sec b.
- Three days later he wrote to Le Verrier asking the same question about the radius vector as he had asked Adams.
1.1 Astronomy A line joining a satellite or other celestial object to its primary.
- In the second law, Kepler used the idea of radius vector, and stated that the radius vector from the sun to a planet sweeps out equal areas in equal intervals of time.
- The radius vector is shortest when the planet is at perihelion and longest at aphelion.
- The radius vector from the sun to a planet sweeps over equal areas in equal times.
Definition of radius vector in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan