A parasitic plant that lacks chlorophyll and bears a single, very large flower that smells of carrion, native to Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Genus Rafflesia, family Rafflesiaceae: several species, including R. arnoldii, with flowers over 2 feet (60 cm) across
More example sentences
- The 750 or so square kilometres of rainforest surrounding the mountain is one of the world's best-known botanical paradises and is home to the rafflesia, the world's largest flower.
- The most exotic of all is the rafflesia, a cabbagey survivor of ancient days, which measures up to a metre across and makes its living by devouring insects and small mammals.
- Borneo is a botanist's paradise, with its orchids and rafflesia, the world's largest flower.
Definition of rafflesia in:
- The British & World English dictionary