(also rainbow lory)
Definition of rainbow lorikeet in English:
A small, vividly colored Australasian parrot, found in many different races on southwestern Pacific islands.
- Trichoglossus haematodus, family Loridae (or Psittacidae)
- The bill ensures that the protective provisions of the Wildlife Act do not conflict with the use of the Biosecurity Act to control a wildlife organism that has since proved to have undesirable effects, as it did with the rainbow lorikeet.
- At the same time, some Australians are complaining about animal disruptions, such as the pungent smell of fruit bats or the loud noise made by rainbow lorikeets.
- Many a Queenslander has happy memories of childhood visits to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary with its noisy flocks of rainbow lorikeets.
Definition of rainbow lorikeet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.