Definition of rainbow trout in English:
A large trout native to the Pacific seaboard of North America. It has been widely introduced elsewhere, both as a farmed food fish and as a sporting fish. Most rainbow trout remain in streams, but some migrate to lakes and some to the sea (see steelhead).
- Salmo gairdneri, family Salmonidae
- I have even heard stories of captures of the migratory form of the rainbow trout, the steelhead, having been caught from rivers in the North West of England.
- Intensive aquaculture of rainbow trout and other salmonids is a relatively new innovation, compared to the cultivation of most other animals.
- Today's anglers fishing for rainbow trout carry several boxes of fly patterns, but only use a dozen flies.
Definition of rainbow trout in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan