Definition of rainfall in English:
1The fall of rain.
- The officials said that if the plum rains bring disappointing rainfalls in the south, leaving farmland fallow in the summer would be the only way to prevent drought conditions.
- It is understood, though, that despite the plenitude of the Windhoek area, there are areas which have seen only lightning and experienced the cooling breeze of distant rainfalls.
- Heavy rainfalls which have fallen intermittently in the Maluti and Mount Fletcher areas since Sunday have left vast destruction in their wake.
1.1The quantity of rain falling within a given area in a given time: low rainfall
More example sentences
- Usually areas of high rainfall have a low pH and areas of low rainfall have a high pH.
- The rainfall in the lower areas had not been abnormal and they had no way of knowing of the torrential rains higher up.
- Meyer was interested especially in plants that would flourish in areas of low rainfall.
Words that rhyme with rainfallwindfall • pitfall • icefall
Definition of rainfall in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan