Definition of ramble in English:
1Walk for pleasure, typically without a definite route.
- Surely we should be able to walk our dogs or simply ramble along in safety and in peace to enjoy the views and healthy exercise?
- A man with a great fondness for the outdoor life, he loved to ramble in the countryside and experience the peace and quiet of the land.
- All your outdoor pursuits are catered for - whether you're rambling in the Republic or sauntering in the Six Counties.
1.1(Of a plant) put out long shoots and grow over walls or other plants.
- Patterns of olive leaves, golden scallop shells, and intricate pastel designs ramble over the walls.
- Climbing types reach 6 feet tall and can gracefully twine up fences and arbors, or ramble over the ground.
- Their lily-pad leaves and bright orange, yellow, or red flowers ramble over picket fences and along the ground.
2Talk or write at length in a confused or inconsequential way: he rambled on about his acting career
More example sentences
- He rambled on rather inconsequentially for some time.
- Yesterday I rambled on at far too great a length about elections.
- Prodded to explain, she rambled on about balloons.
nounBack to top
A walk taken for pleasure, especially in the countryside.
- Based at 18 excellent country houses, they have a wide choice of walks from gentle rambles to adventure treks.
- This year, as well as the regular walks, it is also planned to introduce a countryside ramble which is aimed at anyone interested in a leisurely Sunday afternoon walk with a focus on the local environment.
- Other walks will also include rural rambles, a walk around the town centre, short strolls, hard moorland walks and family walks.
Words that rhyme with rambleamble, bramble, Campbell, gamble, gambol, scramble, shamble
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan