Definition of rambutan in English:
1A red, plum-sized tropical fruit with soft spines and a slightly acidic taste.
- Spiky red rambutans, so easy to peel, were their favourite.
- The durian, mango, rambutan, mangosteen, pineapple and other fruits are displayed in the market along with a large selection of seafood.
- While the rambutans were there, as well as all the cakes, we were filled by the BBQ dishes and turned down offers of coffee and cakes, despite the name of the restaurant.
2The Malaysian tree that bears the rambutan fruit.
- Nephelium lappaceum, family Sapindaceae
- Kebayoran Baru was just a large plantation mostly with rambutan and durian trees, just like other suburbs here.
- A guide told us that the night before our visit, 300 rambutan trees went from fruit-laden to bald.
- Others in the same genus are the longan, rambutan, and pulasan.
Early 18th century: from Malay rambūtan, from rambut 'hair', with allusion to the fruit's spines.
Words that rhyme with rambutanLuton, newton, Teuton
Definition of rambutan in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan