Definition of rancid in English:
(Of foods containing fat or oil) smelling or tasting unpleasant as a result of being old and stale.
- If you don't know what it's supposed to smell like, it might smell a little like rancid butter.
- Butyric acid is responsible not only for the smell of rancid butter, but also contributes to the odor of sweat.
- When I returned I was laying in bed and couldn't sleep because of this rancid smell consuming the house.
- Example sentences
- Antioxidants added to the fat at the time of storage prevent the occurrence of rancidity.
- Store any leftovers in a cool, dry place because the high oil content of the nuts can lead to rancidity.
- A practical strategy to check for rancidity is to simply smell the fish oil.
Words that rhyme with rancidunfancied
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan