(Of foods containing fat or oil) smelling or tasting unpleasant as a result of being old and stale.
More example sentences
- If you don't know what it's supposed to smell like, it might smell a little like rancid butter.
- Butyric acid is responsible not only for the smell of rancid butter, but also contributes to the odor of sweat.
- When I returned I was laying in bed and couldn't sleep because of this rancid smell consuming the house.
early 17th century: from Latin rancidus 'stinking'.
- More example sentences
- Antioxidants added to the fat at the time of storage prevent the occurrence of rancidity.
- Store any leftovers in a cool, dry place because the high oil content of the nuts can lead to rancidity.
- A practical strategy to check for rancidity is to simply smell the fish oil.