Definition of raptor in English:
1A bird of prey, e.g., an eagle, hawk, falcon, or owl.
- They have also been known to steal prey from other raptors and to eat fresh carrion.
- As raptors like hawks and owls prey on the rodents, they risk being hit by a car.
- They may steal prey from other raptors, and have been known to eat carrion as long as it has not been dead too long.
1.1 informal A dromaeosaurid dinosaur, especially velociraptor or utahraptor.
[From velociraptor, a shortened form used originally by paleontologists, popularized by the film Jurassic Park (1993)]
- The first room in the Creation Museum will show paleontologists digging up a dinosaur raptor.
- No creature was spared, from the largest sauropod to the smallest raptor.
- Some of the dinos seen are the brontosaurus, vicious raptors, and tyrannosaurus rex.
Late Middle English: from Latin, literally 'plunderer', from rapt- 'seized', from the verb rapere.
Words that rhyme with raptoradaptor, captor, chapter
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan