Definition of raptorial in English:
1(Of a bird or other animal) predatory.
- Compared to most raptorial birds, saw-whet owls are a very small-bodied species with high mass-specific metabolic costs.
- No one would expect detailed management histories of otters, beavers, muskrats, raptorial birds, and yet the success story of the Yellowstone cutthroat trout is worth telling.
- Numerous explanations exist for the evolution of reversed size dimorphism in raptorial species.
1.1(Of a limb or other organ) adapted for seizing prey.
- Their lethal raptorial appendages provide effective weapons for acquiring and defending these homes.
- Note that the male in the image at right has much larger eyes and raptorial appendages.
- In addition, they have potent raptorial appendages, with which they produce extremely fast and powerful strikes.
Early 19th century: from Latin raptor 'plunderer' + -ial.
Definition of raptorial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.