noun (plural rarities)
- 1The state or quality of being rare: the rarity of the conditionMore example sentences
- Anything of outstanding quality or rarity which was fresh to the market received a wildly enthusiastic welcome.
- Due to its rarity and unique coloring, the python now commands fantastic prices.
- Gemstones are minerals esteemed for their qualities of beauty, durability, and rarity.
- 1.1A thing that is rare, especially one having particular value as a result of this: to take the morning off was a rarityMore example sentences
- This latest release is a collection of B-sides, rarities, soundtrack songs and cover versions which is a must for die-hard fans.
- Both men were travellers and collectors of curiosities - or rarities, as they were called.
- You know that I have an agent who is always on the look-out for rarities and curiosities for my collection.
late Middle English: from Latin raritas, from rarus 'far apart, infrequently found' (see rare1).