1A liqueur flavored with almonds or the kernels of peaches, apricots, or cherries.
- The recipe for Bakewell Pudding given by Eliza Acton was essentially a rich custard of egg yolks, butter, sugar, and flavouring - ratafia is suggested - poured over a layer of mixed jams an inch thick and baked.
- Very narrow flutes are called ratafias - after ratafia, a concoction popular in the mid 18th century.
- Among these are ‘Lynn’ glasses, and ratafia glasses which for some reason have also escaped the attention of the forger.
1.1 (also ratafia biscuit) An almond-flavored cookie like a small macaroon.
- Very small almond biscuits are still manufactured under the name of ‘ratafias’.
- If I can get them, I also like the addition of ratafia or amaretti biscuits soaked with the sponge for texture and that almond flavour.
Late 17th century: from French; perhaps related to tafia.
Words that rhyme with ratafiaadhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, racketeer, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of ratafia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.