Definition of ratfish in English:
noun (plural same or ratfishes)
1A blunt-nosed chimaera with rodentlike front teeth and a long thin tail, found chiefly in cooler waters. See also rabbitfish.
- Genera Chimaera and Hydrolagus, family Chimaeridae: several species, including H. colliei of the eastern North Pacific
- Apparently living at great depths with the hagfish, the prehistoric ratfish was recently discovered off Brazil by scientists.
- The others catch sight of the ratfish at the same time as me, but it is not alone - there are five of these ‘monsters ‘in the cleft.’
- Hard to miss, especially by night divers, whose lights catch the gleam from its huge opalescent eyes, is the ratfish, which cruises by on wing-like pectoral fins.
Definition of ratfish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan