1The thin pliable stems of a palm, used to make furniture.
- The color scheme extends to the attached sunroom with its red rattan settee and yellow armchairs, which have kick pleats in plaid.
- In the United States, Indonesian-made rattan furniture or garments are not inexpensive.
- Hambali stayed here for two months, rarely leaving the guesthouse, apparently enjoying the views from his host's rattan armchair over Boeung Kak Lake.
2The tropical Old World climbing palm that yields rattan, with long, spiny, jointed stems.
- Genus Calamus, family Palmae.
- As a final touch, he extended the texture of the rattan with grassy sprigs, as well as a six-foot bamboo arrangement in the corner of the bedroom.
- Two samples of African rattans were supplied as living seeds for propagation by Dr T. Sunderland from wild plants in Cameroon (voucher at K, the herbarium of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew).
- Living fibres have also been reported in 5-year-old rattan palms (Rhapis excelsa, Calamus axillaris).
Mid 17th century: from Malay rotan, probably from raut 'pare, trim'.
Words that rhyme with rattanAberfan, Adrianne, an, Anne, artisan, astrakhan, ban, began, Belmopan, bipartisan, bran, can, Cannes, Cézanne, Cheyenne, clan, courtesan, cran, dan, Dayan, Diane, divan, élan, Elan, fan, flan, foreran, Fran, Friedan, Gell-Mann, gran, Han, Hunan, Ivan, Jan, Japan, Jinan, Joanne, Kazan, Klan, Kordofan, Lacan, Lausanne, Leanne, Limousin, Louvain, man, Mann, Marianne, Milan, Moran, nan, Oran, outran, outspan, Pan, panne, parmesan, partisan, pavane, pecan, Pétain, plan, Pusan, ran, rataplan, Rosanne, Sagan, Saipan, saran, scan, scran, sedan, span, spick-and-span, Spokane, Suzanne, Tainan, tan, than, tisane, trepan, van, vin, Wuhan, Xian, Yerevan, Yunnan, Zhongshan
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of rattan in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.