noun (plural same or razorfishes)
1A small fish of the Indo-Pacific, with a long, flattened snout and a laterally compressed body encased in thin, bony shields that meet to form a sharp ridge on the belly.
- Family Centriscidae: several genera and species, including Aeoliscus strigatus, which swims in a head-down vertical posture
- The pièce de résistance, though, was a gargantuan platter of seafood overflowing with everything from lobster all the way down to razorfish.
2A small, brightly colored wrasse (fish) with a steeply sloping forehead, living chiefly in sandy coastal waters of the western Atlantic.
- Genus Hemipteronotus, family Labridae: several species
- Juvenile rockmover wrasse and dwarf scorpionfish, ghost pipefish, razorfish, stonefish, mantis shrimps, snake eels, and the flamboyant anemone hermit crab are frequently seen in this area.
- Today virtually every household has a deep freeze where packets of sandeel, mackerel strip, crab and razorfish can be kept from the end of one season till the beginning of the next.
- Worm tipped off with razorfish splints down each side and bound with elastic thread is a cracking bait.
Definition of razorfish in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.