Definition of re-enact in English:
1Act out (a past event): bombers were gathered together to re-enact the historic first air attack
More example sentences
- Today's Dresden Stollen Festival, which has been celebrated every year since 1994, re-enacts the historical event of the giant stollen, with a 3,500 kilogram cake shown at the Dresden Zwinger.
- The clocks were turned back exactly 150 years in historic Haworth to re-enact the wedding of one of Britain's favourite classical authors.
- Years later, at the 2000 Vancouver International Film Festival, I sat with many of the same people to see the premiere of Scorn, which re-enacts the events surrounding the murders.
2Bring (a law) into effect again when the original statute has been repealed.
- Further, many significant English statutes affecting private law were re-enacted here, producing local uniformity and access to a body of valuable English decisions construing those statutes.
- Long ago, Sir Owen Dixon pointed out that it is quite artificial to think that Parliament in re-enacting legislation is giving it the same meaning that courts had attributed to it in earlier cases.
- If one simply re-enacts the current law it will have no effect at all on the Court of Appeal decision.
- Example sentences
- The museum's curator of military history Keith Matthews said: ‘The Sealed Knot re-enactments have proved to be a huge success at York Castle Museum in the past.’
- In an earlier film, Close-up (which Mac Cinema screened last semester), Kiarostami staged re-enactments of events with all the real-life participants playing themselves.
- A considerable amount of work had gone into making the experience authentic, and there were several who were dressed in the clothes of the forties, and who were involved in re-enactments to add to the occasion.
Definition of re-enact in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan