Definition of readopt in English:
1Adopt (a physical position) again.
- I stumbled backwards a step then readopted my basketball blocking stance.
- After allowing the patient to re-adopt the neutral position, repeat two or three times, increasing the applied force slightly each time.
- Occasionally, scorpions would lift their pedipalps and pectines, reorient by moving forward or pivoting, then re-adopt the alert stance.
1.1Start to follow (a principle or course of action) again.
- The British High Commission had a sharp increase in inquiries yesterday from whites seeking to readopt British citizenship following the violence.
- In 1959 the original title was readopted, under which it continues to appear.
- After reunification, the parliament decided to readopt Berlin as Germany's capital.
- Example sentences
- Its readoption is in no way a foregone conclusion.
- Eventually some of them would be used as sites for cathedrals and monasteries, but this seems to be more a matter of readoption than of any genuine continuity.
- Also remaining to be achieved is the readoption by the college of policies on academic freedom, tenure, and due process that are in essential conformity with Association-supported standards.
Definition of readopt in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan