1Adopt (a physical position) again.
- I stumbled backwards a step then readopted my basketball blocking stance.
- After allowing the patient to re-adopt the neutral position, repeat two or three times, increasing the applied force slightly each time.
- Occasionally, scorpions would lift their pedipalps and pectines, reorient by moving forward or pivoting, then re-adopt the alert stance.
1.1Start to follow (a principle or course of action) again.
- The British High Commission had a sharp increase in inquiries yesterday from whites seeking to readopt British citizenship following the violence.
- In 1959 the original title was readopted, under which it continues to appear.
- After reunification, the parliament decided to readopt Berlin as Germany's capital.
- Example sentences
- Its readoption is in no way a foregone conclusion.
- Eventually some of them would be used as sites for cathedrals and monasteries, but this seems to be more a matter of readoption than of any genuine continuity.
- Also remaining to be achieved is the readoption by the college of policies on academic freedom, tenure, and due process that are in essential conformity with Association-supported standards.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of readopt in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.