- A traditional Jewish title or form of address, corresponding to Sir, for a man who is not a rabbi (used preceding the forename or surname).More example sentences
- CURT LEVIANT'S novel about Reb Nachman of Bratslav, The Man Who Thought He Was Messiah, was a Nominee for the National Jewish Book Award.
- The rabbi called him suddenly, "Reb Jew, come here."
- Throughout his long career, Reb Zalman has been an unending resource for the world religious community.
(also Johnny Reb)
nounUS • informal
- A Confederate soldier in the American Civil War.More example sentences
- The end of the Rebs and their damned confederacy is forming right here,’ the corporal said, though the earlier jauntiness was absent from his voice.
- I know, but I'm using that example to wonder if we did the same type of question thing for the Civil War, would we maybe end up being Rebs?
- At that moment, a scout named Stephen Warren Morehouse rushed to Major George Pope telling him ‘there's a lot of Rebs through there in a barn.’
abbreviation of rebel.