(also received standard)
- The standard form of British English pronunciation, based on educated speech in southern England.More example sentences
- Standard English at that time was British English with received pronunciation.
- We should remember that Gladstone had a strong Merseyside accent, and that received pronunciation is largely an artefact of the broadcast era.
- The Doctor is a scientist and an intellectual, and a lot of people seem to think you can only be those things if you speak with received pronunciation which, of course, is rubbish.
More definitions of received pronunciationDefinition of received pronunciation in:
- The British & World English dictionary