Definition of receptor in English:
1An organ or cell able to respond to light, heat, or other external stimulus and transmit a signal to a sensory nerve.
- In the special sense organs, such as the eye and the ear, highly specialized receptors respond to light and sound.
- Our own skin contains a battery of touch receptors that produce nerve signals when pressed.
- However, they have some ability to sense light through receptors in the epidermis.
1.1A region of tissue, or a molecule in a cell membrane, that responds specifically to a particular neurotransmitter, hormone, antigen, or other substance.
- When the neurotransmitter binds with the receptor, the next cell responds accordingly.
- Hormones work by docking with a specific receptor on a cell, which then responds by turning on genes.
- Finally, the presence of a specific receptor in the target tissue is required for a hormone to have its effect.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan