Definition of recidivist in English:
A convicted criminal who reoffends, especially repeatedly.
- Only a handful of recidivists and unrepentant individuals convicted of major crimes against the faith were put to death.
- Most people convicted of driving while disqualified are recidivists.
- Keep quiet about the 4,000 recidivists who run city streets, committing crimes with increasing bravado and little fear of punishment.
adjectiveBack to top
Denoting a person who repeatedly reoffends: recidivist male prisoners women are rarely recidivist
More example sentences
- Firstly, this Government passed the Sentencing Act 2002, which states that a recidivist child sex offender can receive preventive detention and be locked up, if necessary, for life.
- There are very good organisations like Safe Network in Auckland, run by John McCarthy, which deals with trying to rehabilitate and run programmes for recidivist sex offenders.
- In conclusion, the main change that this bill introduces is the power to place recidivist child sex offenders under extended supervision for up to 10 years.
- Example sentences
- The causes of recidivism among sex offenders are complex.
- These criteria are intended to identify programs that are likely to have an effect on reducing criminal recidivism.
- The police do have the right to pay periodic visits on released sex offenders, in order to help keep recidivism in check.
- Example sentences
- The drug courts should be working with the more recidivistic group of people and less with the first-time offender.
- Although cruelty to animals seems to hold potential as a predictor of recidivistic firesetting, it is most likely an externalizing behavior that correlates highly with delinquency.
- The same may hold true for recidivistic drug usage.
Definition of recidivist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia