- 1A set of instructions for preparing a particular dish, including a list of the ingredients required: a traditional Indonesian recipeMore example sentences
cooking instructions/directions• archaic receipt
- Most of the recipes are simple to prepare and follow short ingredient lists.
- Following a traditional recipe, the scientists prepared the maize and analysed the contents.
- She was stuck in the kitchen, surrounded by recipes and various ingredients.
- 1.1Something that is likely to lead to a particular outcome: sky-high interest rates are a recipe for disasterMore example sentences
- The first alternative is a shortcut to insolvency, the second, a recipe for discontentment and civil unrest.
- Allowing ideology to drive science is a recipe for second rate science.
- It is a recipe for further volatility in the lead up to next year's elections.
- 1.2 • archaic A medical prescription.More example sentences
- Medical recipes, then and now, can often seem confusing because of their wealth of abbreviations and symbols.
- This work-diary is composed of medical recipes written in a technical and highly abbreviated Latin.
late Middle English: from Latin, literally 'receive!' (first used as an instruction in medical prescriptions), imperative of recipere.