1The performance of a program of music by a solo instrumentalist or singer or by a small group: a piano recital
More example sentences
- This is the person who will buy tickets to attend symphony concerts, opera, ballet, chamber music recitals, choral concerts and musical theater.
- It is also considered disruptive to clap individual songs or short instrumental pieces rather than at the end of each group at lieder recitals or early music concerts.
- Next Friday it performs a recital of sacred choral music at Christ Church Cathedral, Waterford.
2An enumeration or listing of connected names, facts, or elements; a recital of their misfortunes
More example sentences
- One is the children's memorial: a dark, empty space broken only by myriad points of light, like stars, and by a continuous recital of the names of children who perished.
- This work is not a recital of the principal events connected with Guru Nanak's life nor is it a compendium of his teachings.
- Brown seeks to show, with impressive erudition and illuminating analyses of many works of art, how imagination can be a vehicle of truth that is more profound than bare recitals of historical fact.
3 (usually recitals) Law The part of a legal document that explains the purpose of the deed and gives factual information.
- You might note that the Crown law officer who drafted the lease got the proclamation wrong in the recitals but otherwise the documents are there, your Honours.
- The following recitals explain the background and underlying policy of the Directive, so far as relevant for present purposes.
- One of the problems in that case was the use of recitals in legislation to establish constitutional facts.
- Example sentences
- The delightful Finnish soprano is the first of a distinguished group of vocal recitalists at Brian McMaster's final festival, performing songs by Mozart, Sibelius, Schoenberg and Britten.
- Also a distinguished soloist and recitalist, he has shared the stage with many well-known orchestras and performed at numerous international music festivals.
- By 14, my father had become a renowned organ recitalist - playing and broadcasting from churches and cathedrals all over the country.
Words that rhyme with recitalentitle, mistitle, requital, title, vital
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.