Definition of recital in English:
1The performance of a program of music by a solo instrumentalist or singer or by a small group: a piano recital
More example sentences
- This is the person who will buy tickets to attend symphony concerts, opera, ballet, chamber music recitals, choral concerts and musical theater.
- It is also considered disruptive to clap individual songs or short instrumental pieces rather than at the end of each group at lieder recitals or early music concerts.
- Next Friday it performs a recital of sacred choral music at Christ Church Cathedral, Waterford.
2An enumeration or listing of connected names, facts, or elements; a recital of their misfortunes
More example sentences
- One is the children's memorial: a dark, empty space broken only by myriad points of light, like stars, and by a continuous recital of the names of children who perished.
- This work is not a recital of the principal events connected with Guru Nanak's life nor is it a compendium of his teachings.
- Brown seeks to show, with impressive erudition and illuminating analyses of many works of art, how imagination can be a vehicle of truth that is more profound than bare recitals of historical fact.
3 (usually recitals) Law The part of a legal document that explains the purpose of the deed and gives factual information.
- You might note that the Crown law officer who drafted the lease got the proclamation wrong in the recitals but otherwise the documents are there, your Honours.
- The following recitals explain the background and underlying policy of the Directive, so far as relevant for present purposes.
- One of the problems in that case was the use of recitals in legislation to establish constitutional facts.
- Example sentences
- The delightful Finnish soprano is the first of a distinguished group of vocal recitalists at Brian McMaster's final festival, performing songs by Mozart, Sibelius, Schoenberg and Britten.
- Also a distinguished soloist and recitalist, he has shared the stage with many well-known orchestras and performed at numerous international music festivals.
- By 14, my father had become a renowned organ recitalist - playing and broadcasting from churches and cathedrals all over the country.