- A plane figure with four straight sides and four right angles, especially one with unequal adjacent sides, in contrast to a square.More example sentences
- The types of shapes for which the area is calculated include triangles, rectangles, circles, trapeziums.
- He arranges thin rectangles, squares, triangles and trapezoids in complex patterns on the wall.
- In particular books one and two set out basic properties of triangles, parallels, parallelograms, rectangles and squares.
late 16th century: from medieval Latin rectangulum, from late Latin rectiangulum, based on Latin rectus 'straight' + angulus 'an angle'.
More definitions of rectangleDefinition of rectangle in:
- The British & World English dictionary