1(Especially of a person or human figure) lying down: recumbent statues
More example sentences
- Where there was an effigy, a recumbent figure showing the deceased dead or sleeping was most common.
- Neither the Greeks nor the Romans memorialized their dead in the form of full-scale recumbent effigies.
- He laughed aloud in wonder, and smiled benevolently down at the recumbent figure in his lap.
lying, flat, horizontal, stretched out, sprawled (out), reclining, prone, prostrate, supine;
1.1(Of a bicycle) designed to be ridden lying almost flat on one’s back or sitting up with the legs stretched out in front.
- The couple, who are travelling on a tandem recumbent tricycle worth almost $10,000, are at the half-way mark of their journey which started at Queensland's Big Pineapple.
- Models ranged from fold-up commuter bikes to electrically assisted bikes, from the family-sized four-seater ZEM bike to the Radius recumbent bike, where the cyclist lies back to pedal.
- First, I spend more time at the YMCA pedalling a stationery recumbent bike and watching the television breakfast news.
A recumbent bicycle.
- I am no recumbent rider, but this is no ordinary recumbent.
- His only options are to sit on the rear rack, as if he were on a recumbent, or to pedal standing up.
- It includes two-wheel, three-wheel and four-wheel recumbents - bikes with reclining seats and shoulder-height handlebars - plus examples of racing machines dating through from the 1920s to the 1960s.
- Example sentences
- The main clinical signs were depression, inappetence, huddling together, ataxia and recumbency.
- Spells are brief in duration with prompt recovery on recumbency.
- The pain is exacerbated by inspiration or recumbency and relieved to some extent by leaning forward.
Mid 17th century: from Latin recumbent- 'reclining', from the verb recumbere, from re- 'back' + a verb related to cubare 'to lie'.
Words that rhyme with recumbentincumbent
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.