Definition of red-eye in English:
1The undesirable effect in flash photography of people appearing to have red eyes, caused by a reflection from the retina when the flashgun is too near the camera lens.
- Techniques are given such as boosting reds and yellows to produce an effect like a warming filter on a camera or removing red-eye found in flash photos.
- The effect is accentuated by the fact that everyone, including myself, is suffering from red-eye due to the camera flash.
- Throw this technique into your bag of GIMP tricks, and you'll never again have to worry about red-eye ruining your candid flash photos.
2 (also red-eye flight) [in singular] informal , chiefly North American An overnight or late-night flight on a commercial airline: she caught the red-eye back to New York
More example sentences
- I then spent six hours in the airport, took a red-eye flight back to Logan International, and crashed into bed at 7: 30 the next morning.
- She's catching a red-eye flight to Canada where she's making a movie with Alan Alda.
- I took a red-eye flight, did it for free, never thought twice.
Words that rhyme with red-eyedeadeye
Definition of red-eye in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan