Definition of red-eye in English:
1The undesirable effect in flash photography of people appearing to have red eyes, caused by a reflection from the retina when the flashgun is too near the camera lens.
- Techniques are given such as boosting reds and yellows to produce an effect like a warming filter on a camera or removing red-eye found in flash photos.
- The effect is accentuated by the fact that everyone, including myself, is suffering from red-eye due to the camera flash.
- Throw this technique into your bag of GIMP tricks, and you'll never again have to worry about red-eye ruining your candid flash photos.
2 (also red-eye flight) [in singular] informal , chiefly North American An overnight or late-night flight on a commercial airline: she caught the red-eye back to New York
More example sentences
- I then spent six hours in the airport, took a red-eye flight back to Logan International, and crashed into bed at 7: 30 the next morning.
- She's catching a red-eye flight to Canada where she's making a movie with Alan Alda.
- I took a red-eye flight, did it for free, never thought twice.
Definition of red-eye in:
- British & World English dictionary