- A very large star of high luminosity and low surface temperature. Red giants are thought to be in a late stage of evolution when no hydrogen remains in the core to fuel nuclear fusion.More example sentences
- When its fuel runs out, an old star expands into a red giant and then collapses to become a white dwarf.
- Multiple collisions involving red giants and other stars might yield the random orbits her team has observed.
- It is believed that eventually the sun will expand into a red giant, swallowing all of the inner planets, and destroying all life on earth.
More definitions of red giantDefinition of red giant in:
- The British & World English dictionary