- 1A dried smoked herring, which is turned red by the smoke.More example sentences
- In the next few decades these kippers almost completely took over the market from the old salty red herrings.
- Many a person has gone away smiling after eating one of Kipperman's red herring, bloaters or kippers.
- 2Something, especially a clue, that is or is intended to be misleading or distracting: the book is fast-paced, exciting, and full of red herrings[so named from the practice of using the scent of red herring in training hounds]More example sentences
- Often they're false clues, red herrings.
- Most of the film is spent working very hard to build suspense and distract the audience with red herrings that stop being effective early on.
- It is a quest for the truth that drops vital clues and red herrings along the way.
More definitions of red herringDefinition of red herring in:
- The British & World English dictionary