Definition of redshirt in English:
A college athlete who is withdrawn from college sporting events during one year in order to develop skills and extend the period of playing eligibility by a further year at this level of competition.
- He missed a game due to a hamstring injury as a redshirt freshman, another game as a sophomore with a sprained ankle, and two more games as a junior when he broke his arm.
- When I was a redshirt freshman, we played Georgetown in the NCAA Tournament.
- It's kind of like a redshirt year in college simply because you're not doing what the other guys are doing.
verb[with object] Back to top
1(Of a coach) keep (an athlete) out of college competition for a year in order to develop the athlete’s skills and extend their period of playing eligibility: he came to Ohio State as a defensive lineman and was redshirted in 2010
More example sentences
- The coaching staff might consider redshirting him.
- Coach Rick Barnes initially considered redshirting Taylor but changed his mind when he saw Taylor's offensive ability and when guard Kenton Paulino was injured in preseason practice.
- And if we can't get the complete guy, we get a guy who's missing something and we try to fill in his blanks by redshirting him, or plenty of individual instruction.
From the red shirts worn by such athletes in practices with regular team members.
Definition of redshirt in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.